Monday 6 August 2012

Olympic Fever


The Olympics are even better than I expected! I’ve been watching events that I never thought I’d even like. I’ve never been remotely interested in badminton but on Saturday I watched the women’s singles badminton final…what can I say!? It was exciting!

I’m still slightly in shock over the tennis though. I couldn’t decide who I wanted to support! I know that’s terrible because I’m British and I should have been rooting for Andy Murray but I felt kind of sorry for Federer. This isn’t because he’s ‘attractive’ or anything, but he’s always been y’know, the ‘top’ one and being Olympic champion is kind of worth more than a Grand Slam. He’s almost certainly not going to be around in Rio so…yeah…I felt a little sorry for him. When the presenter said it was going to rain, I thought that it would turn the whole match around but the storm didn’t come which meant no roof which in turn meant a v. disappointed Federer. But I suppose I was leaning more in Murray’s direction and it was pretty awesome when he basically beat the guy hands down. It was unexpected but…yeah, good. At least Federer looked happy with his silver medal when it got presented and when they were having photos taken. I like it when they all smile…lol.
To be honest though, I was still surprised from Friday when Murray beat Djokovic! (Is that how you spell it???) I did NOT expect that at all! I thought Murray would be playing for the bronze medal against that 6 foot 6 Del Potro dude so I was surprised and pleased when he actually got through to the final. That Potro guy is like a giant. I’m sorry but he’s huge! I cannot believe that last set he played against Federer in the semis, we were watching it at work thinking ‘When is this going to end?!’ 19 – 17 though… and I think Potro won the US Open quite recently so maybe we’ll see more of him this year.
Anyway, I wanted Murray and Robson to win the doubles too but oh well…they got silver which is great anyway. I’m not going to lie, Robson isn’t such a brilliant player but hey, she’s only eighteen so maybe she’ll improve in the next few years. You can’t help warming to her. The doubles final was still a good match to watch though so it wasn’t like the British got totally slaughtered. I’m talking too much about tennis here but what the hell, didn’t you guys feel sorry for Sharapova??! She was…annihilated! What the hell?!
Anyway, moving on, who knew that Pakistan played hockey?! I was like, what? Seriously? But I looked it up and they’ve been gold medallists in like four Olympics! And the greatest squash player of all time was this Pakistani dude too so yeah, I was surprised. But I think that’s the nice thing about the Olympics; everyone takes part and it’s not all fucked up with politics, it’s just a really good two weeks.
Oh yeah, can you believe Vladimir Putin is a black belt in judo?! I was amazed! It’s kind of funny to be honest (funny haha) but I think he used to be in the Russian secret police (KGB?) so I guess he had to be pretty well trained up.
On Saturday night, I watched Mo Farah in the 10,000m final but I just turned it on when it was like the last two laps. It was amazing! I’m not one of those people who usually screams at the TV but I so wanted him to win! He seems like such a nice guy and wow, it felt really good seeing him being so happy when he came first. And Jessica Ennis basically cruised to her gold medal which was great to see (she’s from Yorkshire!) The 100m final last night was good too and it was nice seeing Bolt and Blake get gold and silver.
I’m not really all that clued up on the indoor cycling; they seem to have so many similar events and sometimes there are four team members and sometimes three, and some of them drop out…it’s kind of confusing. I haven’t really watched it that much apart from the finals.
Anyway, can you believe that 15 year old swimmer?? No one seems to be particularly surprised but I’m like ‘WTF, this girl is 15 and she beat all these grown women!’ I’m still in shock! The swimming has been good though, it’s been nice seeing Michael Phelps (I never even knew what he looked like before these Olympics) and even though GB haven’t won all that many medals, it’s a good sport to watch anyway.

I’ve been watching rowing! Can you believe that? Seriously, I’m just caught up in this crazy Olympic fever! The BBC presenters make random events sound so exciting so I put them on and then…they ARE exciting! I even watched part of the sailing!

Anyway, I’ll probably finish waffling about all of this when the Olympics are over but in the meantime, I hope you all enjoy the rest of the games!

No comments:

Post a Comment