Thursday 5 September 2013

Scotland’s Got Talent



We knew this already, I hear the Andy Murray fans scream as he rallies his way to retaining his title at the US Open (hopefully!)
I hope that Scotland doesn’t become an independent nation when the people vote on 18 September 2014 (which funnily enough is the same date as my birthday!) I don’t know why I think an independent Scotland is necessarily a bad thing but I just feel like they should stay as part of the UK.
This may of course have something to do with the fact that Calvin Harris, Biffy Clyro and Chvrches are from Scotland!
I can’t believe I’m confessing to this but I had very limited knowledge about Biffy Clyro up until the last six months and now they’ve kind of shoved The Script and Coldplay aside to become my new favourite man-band! Admittedly, I need to catch up on their old songs which are apparently the best, but in the meantime I’m perfectly content to listen to their latest album and enjoy the lovely sound of Simon Neil’s voice.
Also, sometimes when you hear celebrities being interviewed, you feel that they’re a bit arrogant (to say the least.) But Biffy Clyro did a Live Lounge on Radio 1 and they sounded like SUCH genuine, lovely guys. They were doing the jokes about haggis and IrnBru and they just sounded really easy-going, like you could have a normal chat with them over a drink.
It made a nice change to the usual boring interviews you hear. Since Miley Cyrus put out We Can’t Stop, she was having tonnes of radio and television interviews and while she had a sense of humour, she still didn’t seem all that natural. While on the subject of Miley… I cannot believe she’s only twenty! What must poor Billy Ray be thinking?! I get that she’s reinventing herself and putting the Disney days behind her but I think she achieved that before the MTV awards. She really needs to stop now!
Anyway, back to Scotland and my second new discovery; Chvrches! So, like Biffy Clyro, this is a three person band (although instead of three guys, it’s two guys and a girl) and they too are from Glasgow! They came fifth on the BBC’s sound of 2013 and that was not high enough! They are astoundingly brilliant. The lead singer Lauren Mayberry has such a unique voice and their songs are awesome.  ‘The Mother We Share’… you have to listen to it! It was at #51 on The Huffington Post’s top 52 songs of 2012 and I fell in love with it. Then I found out it was written and recorded in TWO days. Like… what the hell?! They are amazingly talented and my first real venture into electropop. I’m hooked!
The band’s debut studio album, ‘The Bones of What You Believe’ will be released on 23 September 2013 in the UK so… check them out and buy it!
And finally, my favourite dance track of this summer is… *drumroll please*… C O O L by Le Youth! What a tune! :)
Oh, and one last thing; The 1975 are poised to take #1 on the album chart this week – I would be so happy for those guys is they made it to the top – their cover of 1D’s ‘What Makes You Beautiful’ was… well, beautiful! Their singles ‘Chocolate’ and ‘Sex’ have also been really great; they have such a unique style.  Really talented bunch of guys – get the album and see for yoursel

No comments:

Post a Comment