Monday 24 June 2013

Awesome Collaborations (4)



Everything Has Changed – Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran
 
I remember a couple of months ago when Ed Sheeran said he thought Taylor Swift was like the best female artist her age because she wrote her own songs and all that and now I’m thinking… TACTICAL MOVE, Ed. But hey, maybe it’s an honour for him to be collaborating with her and to be touring with her but it should be an honour for her too, right? I mean Ed Sheeran is pretty damn awesome in his own right – no-one can match his style and his songs are steeped in crazy metaphors, all of which he writes himself. So he’s talented… and he’s from Yorkshire which counts as like extra talent (although now he’s moved to Nashville which is just plain disloyalty. Ahem.)
Anyway, I love this song, though I would have liked Ed to have sung a bit more of it. It’s sweet and quiet and much better than Taylor Swift’s recent singles. 22 was like… WTF until you heard it over and over again at which point it kinda grew on you (the video was arguably the best part), and I Knew You Were Trouble was a bit crap too. Who sings about Harry Styles anyway? Who dates him anyway? Xtra Factor hosts maybe, but Taylor Swift?! She could do so much better. Jake Gyllenhael! Jeez! Like she let him go!
Okay, rant over. Everything Has Changed – love the song, love the music, love how great their voices are together. NEXT!

Waiting All Night – Rudimental ft. Ella Eyre

This song is like awesomeness personified. Or persong-ified. And the video… too brilliant for words. I like Rudimental, they seem like a cool bunch of guys and I thought Feel The Love was also really brilliant. The lyrics in this song may be repetitive but what more do you want when you’ve got such great music backing them? I think it’s a great track but to appreciate its raw brilliance you need to watch the video at the same time. I’m not saying it’s bad on its own, but if you want the best experience, you need the video on. Otherwise, as a dance track or zooming-down-the-road-with-the radio-up-and-the-windows-down-track, it’s still above averagely awesome.
I Need Your Love – Calvin Harris ft. Ellie Goulding

The first time I saw this I got really excited because I thought these two were together but no, they have to ruin everything with a giant claim that they are JUST FRIENDS. But hey, who knows what may happen in the future? (I await plans of British wedding.)
There was a time when I loved Ellie Goulding. Her cover of Elton John’s Your Song was brilliant and Starry Eyed was a great song too. Then she had to go and ruin it all with Anything Can Happen which was just plain annoying and boring and to full of eee-ing. However, I’m pleased to say she has redeemed herself (in my books) with this collaboration.
Now, I do love the chorus, but the rest of the lyrics don’t seem to quite match the tone. I mean the chorus is excellent but then when she says like ‘Will I ever find you now?’ she seems wa-ay too excited for such a line. Still, the overall beat and feel of the track is great and it’s a brilliant dance tune. I also love Calvin Harris! He seems so cute in this video which is weird because he’s apparently a Scottish giant. Didn’t he set some record for the most top ten singles from one album? I swear there was a question about it on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire! LOL!
La La La – Naughty Boy ft. Sam Smith

I think it’s Sam Smith… isn’t it? Anyway, I love the lyrics of this one, especially ‘If my heart can’t stop it; I’ll find a way to block it…’ Isn’t that so awesome?! I don’t understand the video though. Like at all. Firstly, why doesn’t anyone have teeth? And secondly why do they leave the boy behind at the end? It makes no sense to me! They could have made it a bit more obvious as to what they were trying to say! But the song is still brilliant and very catchy. I never really liked Naughty Boy, mainly because of that song he did with Emeli Sande, but now… I may have converted. He needs a better name though. Naughty Boy? Seriously?!
Brokenhearted – Lawson ft. B.o.B
It seems to me like every person who hooks up on a song with B.o.B is just amazing. And B.o.B is amazing too, though I don’t know how to write his name. Am I meant to put all the dots in, or is it just Bob? Is it in capitals?
Anyway, quite a few of the greats have collaborated with him; Jessie J, Bruno Mars, THE SCRIPT (although I don’t think Walk Away was ever released as a single.) And now Lawson! I love Lawson; they reject the term ‘boyband’ and they seem like such lovely guys whose songs actually mean something! I loved Taking Over Me and Standing In The Dark and I adore this new single too. They remind me of Train but much younger. And with more band members. And fewer ukuleles. Great guys, great video, great song. What more do we need?!
I Love It – Icona Pop ft. Charli XCX

Oh my god; what a tune! If only the weather was as hot and summery as this song! It’s so catchy and so full of that feel good factor! I can’t write much about it because I’ve never heard of these girls before but: I don’t care… I love it! It’s just a brilliant song and the video’s awesome too… it’s so bright and fun and full of colour. It just radiates positivity and gets you in an upbeat mood. Wow!
And my favourite track of the last month:
Let Her Go – Passenger

I know it’s not a collaboration but this is one of the most beautiful songs ever! I’ve been flicking past it for ages thinking ‘Lumineers copycat’ but then Team Danny did a cover of it on The Voice and I fell in love! Usually when Danny sings live on The Voice, he’s all flat and basically crap but he actually did better than his team on this one! It was so lovely and sweet and then I heard it again on the radio yesterday, and I was blown away by the original. I love Passenger’s voice… what accent is that?! It sounds so Irish but I can’t put my finger on it, and what’s his real name?! I really need to go and do some research on this guy. I just love the tune of this song and the music and how much sense it makes. It’s so simple and so, so beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment