Thursday 28 February 2013

Awesome Collaborations (3)



I COULD BE THE ONE – Avicii ft. Nicky Romero


I saw the video for this before anything else and all I could think was ‘Why would she knock over a sandcastle AND swear at a little girl?!’ I just can’t understand how anyone would find that fun (especially the swearing part.) The song is brilliant though; I love the vocals and the music; they fit together perfectly. The lyrics are great too and I like the way the tune starts. I think this was number one last week (in the official charts) but in the Vodafone Big Top 40, One Direction and their Comic Relief single (One Way Or Another) took the top spot. Still, it’s the official chart which counts, right?!

JUST GIVE ME A REASON - Pink ft. Nate Ruess  (from Fun)


I have to confess that I didn’t really like this song when I first heard it. Shocking, I know! The thing was, it just reminded me of Lawson’s Learn to Love Again (because that’s what Pink says half the time!) But once I got over that minor issue, the song really grew on me. It’s kind of simple and that’s what makes it so good. I love the sort of ‘raw’ way in which Pink sings and Nate’s voice just clicks, almost like he was meant to be there all along. It’s basically fantastic.

THRIFT SHOP – Macklemore ft. Ryan Lewis


OK, so slightly behind with this one! It is brilliant though isn’t it? I love that the rap part is something that the average person can understand and relate to (and laugh about.) Usually with raps (even with Eminem) I get lost somewhere along the way but Thrift Shop was excellent in the sense that I could actually figure out what he was talking about and could understand what he meant. I love Ryan Lewis’ part too and the little girl’s voice halfway through… I literally cannot stop myself from smiling whenever I hear her! Oh, and the video is AWESOME too!

EMPIRE STATE OF MIND - Jay Z ft. Alicia Keys


I know this one is REALLY old (compared to the others) but it’s one of those songs that you never get tired of listening to. I love the video and I just love the song. At first I only really liked the chorus, but then Jay Z’s parts grew on me and I just think it’s a brilliant song. Funnily enough, I really like the spoof version too (the Newport one)… it’s hilarious and really quite impressive. Empire State of Mind II was surprisingly good too – kind of like Rihanna’s Love The Way You Lie II. Anyway, this song is definitely one of my all time favourite collaborations.

FADE – Jakwob ft. Maiday


I’ve actually only heard this once on BBC Radio One but I immediately liked it. Radio One is always doing new music and artists no-one’s ever heard of and most of it is pretty crap but I really enjoyed this song. Maybe it was because I expected to be disappointed but I couldn’t help being surprised that this was actually really good! They were interviewing the Jaykwob guy beforehand (I think it was on Valentine’s Day actually!) and he sounded SO boring and I was going to turn it off but the song was unexpectedly good so that was a nice surprise! LOL. It’s worth a listen at any rate!

I know these posts are meant to be about collaborations but I can’t resist including the odd solo single too, so, here is my new favourite!

READY OR NOT - Bridgit Mendler

I don’t usually like these sort of pointless pop songs but this one just has that feel-good factor. For some reason it just takes me right into summer, and it’s so catchy it makes me want to dance every time I hear it. It’s a simple song with that girly attitude that usually annoys the hell out of me, but with this one I can make an exception. As soon as it plays, all I can think of is blue skies, beaches, barbecues and freshly mown lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment